Reid Watkins

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor

Reid Watkins is a senior at Normal Community High School and a member of the football program. In his first year with the Inkspot, Reid was promoted to Sports Editor. Reid commentates girls basketball, baseball and volleyball games that the Inkspot live streams on YouTube. 

My favorite film is simultaneously Forrest Gump, Pitch Perfect and Anchorman 2. The best advice I could give to underclassmen is to respect all of your teachers.

All content by Reid Watkins
The 2020 Ironmen baseball team was set to feature three Division 1 players but will never see the field due to Covid-19 cancellations

Sun sets on potential-filled 2020 Ironmen baseball team

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor May 27, 2020

The outcome of the 2020 Ironmen baseball season will always remain an unanswered question at Normal Community. With a roster featuring three Division I commits, the team, filled with potential, had their shot at the state tournament, their entire season taken from them. This year's roster planned...

Continue Reading
File Photo: Mr. Dave Feeney addresses the varsity basketball team during a  scrimmage in the 2018-19 season.

Feeney named Lady Iron basketball head coach

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Apr 17, 2020

Mr. Dave Feeney has been named head girls varsity basketball coach during a virtual meeting of the board of education Wednesday night. The position was vacant after Mr. Marcus Mann stepped down after the 2019-20 season. In eight years as head coach, Mann amassed a record of 130-107. Athletic director...

Continue Reading
Mr. Wes Temples confers with Mr. Bryan Thomas before his final game as head coach against Mt. Carmel High school on Nov. 14, 2017. Temples most successful season as a head coach came with an appearance in the State Quarterfinals in 2015.

Wes to West: Former head football coach to take on Athletic Director duties for Wildcats

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Mar 21, 2020

Former Ironmen head football coach and current physical education/driver's education teacher Mr. Wes Temples has been hired as the next athletic director of Normal West. Temples will be replacing Mr. Stan Lewis, who is retiring at the end of the school year.  Athletic director has been a goal on...

Continue Reading
Bob Borchears of Thrivent Financial and Althea Shonn, a nurse at Saint Joes and mother of Normal Community student Alexandra Shonn (19), volunteer at the Hyvee pick-up station. The crew also featured Raquel Simmons, a Unit 5 stay-at-home mom (not pictured).

Local businesses partner to distribute free lunches amidst closures

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Mar 16, 2020

A number of local businesses have partnered to create “FeedBlonoKids”, distributing free lunches in an effort to feed local students that are out of school after COVID-19 cancellations. Gill Street Eatz, Healthy In A Hurry and Central Image Car Wraps make up the three primary sponsors, along with...

Continue Reading
A disappointed Ironmen bench watches the final minutes of the Sectional Semi-Finals loss to Normal West.

Boys basketball: Ironmen come up short in Sectional loss to West

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Mar 11, 2020

The Ironmen defense was out of character in their Sectional Semi-Finals matchup versus Normal West, allowing 62 points in their season-ending loss to the Wildcats. Junior guard Nick Rediger’s career-high 18 points helped West beat the Ironmen 62-47 in Pekin, advancing to play Collinsville in the Sectional...

Continue Reading
Ironmen Head Coach Dave Witzig gives instruction while facing West in the Intercity Tournament. NCHS won in a four overtime thriller.

Boys basketball: Regional champion Ironmen play West in Sectional Semis

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Mar 10, 2020

The boys basketball team beat Yorkville 50-34 in the Regional Championship hosted by Pekin on Friday, March 6 to advance to the Sectional Semi-Finals. Senior guard Griffin McCluskey led all scorers with 18 as the Ironmen won their first Regional Championship since 2015. The focus now turns to the first...

Continue Reading
Girls basketball: Creasey voted team MVP

[Video] Girls basketball: Creasey voted team MVP

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Mar 4, 2020

Sophomore guard Karleigh Creasey was announced as the winner of team MVP voting at the Lady Iron basketball banquet on Tuesday, March 3. Voting for the MVP title was done by players on the varsity level leading up to the banquet. “It means a lot to me that I could make a big impact on my teammates...

Continue Reading
Boys basketball: Ironmen avoid upset, break playoff losing streak

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Mar 4, 2020

The boys basketball team was tested in their first postseason matchup, the Regional Semi-Final versus No. 8 seed Minooka, hosted by Bradley-Bourbonnais on Tuesday, March 3. Despite trailing by one point after the first quarter and at half time, the Ironmen prevailed and won 49-40.  Senior guard...

Continue Reading
The Ironmen settle in on defense versus Champaign Central. Tonight, the Ironmen look for their first playoff win in four years.

Boys basketball looks to snap playoff losing streak

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Mar 3, 2020

The Ironmen boys basketball team plays Minooka tonight at 7 p.m. in the first round of their Regional, hosted by Bradley-Bourbonnais.  The Ironmen are clear favorites for tonight’s matchup as the No. 1 seed in the Regional, facing-off against the No. 8 seed. Minooka has amassed a 3-27 record this...

Continue Reading
White shooting at the Sectional Round of the Three-Point Showdown, hosted by Pekin. White finished 7/15.

Plangger, White fail to advance in Three-Point Showdown

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Feb 28, 2020

Regan White (‘20) and Olivia Plangger (‘21) were both eliminated from the IHSA Three-Point Showdown Thursday night after shooting at Pekin High School in the Sectional Round of the competition.  Plangger, who made 9/15 at the Regional shootout, scored five in Thursday night’s contest.  White...

Continue Reading
White loads a three-pointer in her senior night game versus Bradley-Bourbonnais

Plangger, White set for second round of three-point contest

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Feb 27, 2020

Lady Iron basketball players Olivia Plangger (‘21) and Regan White (‘20) are set to compete in the Sectional Round of the IHSA Three-Point Showdown at Pekin High School Thursday, Feb. 27.  In the Regional contest, Plangger hit 9/15 threes to tie for first place, while White knocked down seven...

Continue Reading
Madison Feeney (21) sets up the offense for the Lady Iron

Lady Iron basketball: could young core lead to strong 2020-’21 season?

The Lady Iron basketball season came to an end Tuesday, Feb. 18, after falling 51-42 to crosstown rival Normal West. The varsity team lacked consistency on offense, and their effort on the defensive end was not enough to hold off Rosh Webb (17 points) and the Wildcats. NCHS was overpowered by the combination...

Continue Reading
The Lady Iron varsity basketball team huddles before their annual Pink Game versus Normal West. The Wildcats won 45-26.

Postseason preview: Lady Iron are set to play Normal West, again

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Feb 14, 2020

For the seventh time over the past two seasons, the Lady Iron varsity basketball team is set to play Normal West. For the second time, their seasons will be on the line. By chance, Community is the recipient of a home game, as they host the IHSA 4A Regional Semi-Final at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb....

Continue Reading
Madison Feeney out; Mann looks to younger sister Sophie

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Feb 7, 2020

The Lady Iron's Madison Feeney has been ruled out indefinitely due to sickness. Feeney was set to be out of the lineup Wednesday night in the Lady Iron’s game against Glenwood that was canceled due to in-climate weather. Feeney, who averages 5.6 points, is not yet considered to be out for the...

Continue Reading
The wrestling team celebrated senior night Tuesday, Jan 28, with festivities before and after a meet versus Olympia.

Wrestling Senior Night [photo gallery]

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Jan 30, 2020
The wrestling team celebrated senior night against Olympia on Tuesday, January 28.
Read Story
Mallory Oloffson (21) prepares to shoot a three during the third quarter of the Lady Irons loss to Peoria Richwoods.

Mann ejected, Lady Iron struggle in loss

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Jan 27, 2020

The Lady Iron basketball team struggled in a conference matchup versus Peoria Richwoods Thursday night, losing 51-33. Head Coach Marcus Mann was ejected in the loss, after leaving his bench to address an official on the other end of the court.  Tempers flared in the third quarter when junior forward...

Continue Reading
Wrestling team adds female competitors to roster

Zach Holliday, Colin Flack and Reid Watkins Jan 10, 2020

The wrestling team has seen some new faces this year, adding two female athletes to their roster of previously all boys. Shelby Hailey and Pyper Wood joined the team for the 2019-2020 wrestling season. “My brother joined the team [in middle school],” Wood said, ”and I realized that I wanted...

Continue Reading
Schneringer aided by NCHS athletic trainer and Coach Mann after injuring her knee versus Danville.

Schneringer out for season after ACL injury

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Dec 28, 2019

In the offseason following Kylee Schneringer's sophomore season, the Lady Iron basketball’s guard/forward suffered an injury in which she both dislocated her shoulder and tore her labrum. After sitting out for six months, Schneringer returned to the court her junior year - appearing in 12 games....

Continue Reading
Creasey reacts to game winner over Danville [video]

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Dec 18, 2019

The Lady Iron basketball team trailed Danville 49-50 after leading much of Saturday afternoon's game. A 3-point shot with 19 seconds to play from Danville's leading scorer Erin Houpt put the Vikings on top. With less than 9 seconds on the play, Karleigh Creasey pulled down an offensive rebound and gave...

Continue Reading
Schneringer and Oloffson return for the Lady Iron; the upperclassmen are expected to lead the team in production this season.

New look Lady Iron tip-off at Central Catholic

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Nov 18, 2019

The girls basketball team will begin their 2019-20 campaign with the annual Intercity tournament Monday, November 18 as they take on tournament hosts Central Catholic at 7:30 p.m. The Lady Iron, who shared the Intercity crown last year with West and Central, hope to take it for themselves this season. The...

Continue Reading
Olivia Hartke (22) ahead of the pack in the Intercity cross country 3 mile run. Hartke would win the race and lead her team to the Intercity title.

Inkspot Athlete of the Week: Olivia Hartke

Hartke leads the Lady Iron cross country team to their first intercity title in 12 years.
Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Oct 16, 2019

Olivia Hartke (‘22) led the varsity girls cross country team to their first Intercity title since 2007. Hartke won the individual title, finishing 42 seconds ahead of second place. Hartke's first-place finish was crucial for the Lady Iron, who squeaked out a victory by only two points over U-High.  Entering...

Continue Reading
Weber in front of the Iron pool record board after breaking the six dive school record.

Inkspot Athlete of the Week: Anya Weber

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Sep 24, 2019

Anya Weber broke the school diving record for six dives Saturday, September 14, with a score of 257.95, breaking the previous record of 246.60. Weber accomplished this in only the third meet of the season, but that meet was her last opportunity to break the record, as there will be no more six dive competitions...

Continue Reading
Feeney with then sophomore Maylin Henning during a practice early in the season last year.

Feeney steps down as assistant basketball coach

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Sep 17, 2019

Mr. Dave Feeney stepped down from his position as the girls varsity basketball assistant coach near the end of second semester last year after holding the job for two years. Feeney was known as a players’ coach in his time with the program. He enjoyed the ups and downs that came with coaching.  “It...

Continue Reading
Tennis courts construction underway on June 10, 2019.

Tennis court renovation behind schedule

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Aug 26, 2019

NCHS students returned to school on August 16 to see new tennis court facilities under construction. What they should have been seeing was a finished product. A complete overhaul of the tennis facilities began the week of June 2, shortly after school let out for summer break. The layer of asphalt...

Continue Reading

Pickleball opens NCHS to community

Shae Simmons and Reid Watkins May 16, 2019

Continue Reading
Madison Feeney looks downcourt during the Lady Irons Regional win over Danville. 
Feeney, a sophomore, is expected to be an impact player next year on the varsity team.

Girls basketball season ends; team already looking to next year

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Feb 27, 2019

The Lady Iron basketball team’s 2018-19 campaign ended at the hands of Brea Beal and the Rock Island Rocks one week ago in the semifinal round of the 4A sectional hosted at Normal West. Beal, ESPN’s 13 ranked player in the nation, controlled the game all night. The South Carolina signee finished...

Continue Reading
Cooper Smith, class of 2017, performs in Irons Got Talent during his senior year.

NCHS grad making original music, finds Spotify success

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Feb 12, 2019

Cooper Smith has been hard at work since walking across the stage at Grossinger Arena, receiving his diploma in the spring of 2017. Since leaving Normal, Smith has set his sights on other stages - as he pursues his college degree and works to get his start in the music industry. Smith attends Lincoln...

Continue Reading
Milik Yarbrough steps to the line in the closing minutes of the game.

[Photo] NCHS Choir gets Rebirds in rhythm for revenge win

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Feb 7, 2019

Continue Reading
Schneringer out indefinitely

Schneringer out indefinitely

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Dec 21, 2018

The Lady Iron basketball team suffered two losses this past Saturday, December 15. The girls lost to Brea Beal and the Rock Island Rocks in the final seconds of a tightly contested game, the final score being 54-52. The Lady Iron also lost Kylee Schneringer, who exited the game with 11 points after...

Continue Reading

Lady Iron “steal” win over Champaign Centennial

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Nov 30, 2018

Continue Reading
Lady Iron look to leave their mark

Lady Iron look to leave their mark

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor Nov 13, 2018

Coach Marcus Mann, has high hopes for the 2018-2019 varsity girls basketball season after, what he considers, an early exit from last year’s IHSA 4A playoffs. With a talented roster of upper- and lowerclassmen, the bar has been set higher for this year’s Lady Iron. The team looks to be headed...

Continue Reading
A shot from the halls outside of a classroom during passing periods.

Larger population as positive for students?

Some faculty members see the large student population as having a positive effect on students. With higher attendance numbers, students are provided with more social opportunities. The higher enrollment at Community can provide students with more opportunities to build peer relationships, to learn...

Continue Reading
Load More Stories
$1880
$3000