Boys basketball: Ironmen avoid upset, break playoff losing streak

Photo Courtesy of: Mr. Jeff Christopherson
Griffin McCluskey (’20) surveys the court earlier this year in a game against Moline.
McCluskey’s 10 points lead the Ironmen to their playoff win.

The boys basketball team was tested in their first postseason matchup, the Regional Semi-Final versus No. 8 seed Minooka, hosted by Bradley-Bourbonnais on Tuesday, March 3. Despite trailing by one point after the first quarter and at half time, the Ironmen prevailed and won 49-40. 

Senior guard Griffin McCluskey scored 10 points, helping the Ironmen secure their first playoff win in four years.

The Ironmen were down three starters due to suspension, helping the Indians stay in the game as they were looking for their fourth win on the year. 

The Ironmen trailed 15-14 at halftime, struggling to score on the offensive end.   

“It was a little nerve-wracking, but I never lost confidence in our guys,” McCluskey said.

McCluskey and the Ironmen came back with a 15 point third quarter to go up 29-23. NCHS finished the half with a 20 point fourth quarter to secure the win.

Normal Community will play the winner of tonight’s 7 p.m. game between No. 4 seed Bradley-Bourbonnais and No. 7 seed Yorkville in the Regional Championship.

$1880
$3000

Reid Watkins, Sports Editor
Reid Watkins is a senior at Normal Community High School and a member of the football program. In his first year with the Inkspot, Reid was promoted to Sports Editor. Reid commentates girls basketball, baseball and volleyball games that the Inkspot live streams on YouTube.  My favorite film is simultaneously Forrest Gump, Pitch Perfect and Anchorman 2. The best advice I could give to underclassmen is to respect all of your teachers.
$1880
$3000