Schneringer out for season after ACL injury

Schneringer+aided+by+NCHS+athletic+trainer+and+Coach+Mann+after+injuring+her+knee+versus+Danville.+
Shae Simmons
Schneringer aided by NCHS athletic trainer and Coach Mann after injuring her knee versus Danville.

In the offseason following Kylee Schneringer’s sophomore season, the Lady Iron basketball’s guard/forward suffered an injury in which she both dislocated her shoulder and tore her labrum.

After sitting out for six months, Schneringer returned to the court her junior year – appearing in 12 games. Only to dislocate her other shoulder.
This second dislocation caused her to nearly miss the conclusion of the 2018-19 season.
This year, as a senior, Schneringer has suffered an injury that may be one of the most feared by an athlete.
In December 14 matchup against the Danville Vikings, Schneringer drove from the top of the key and attempted a left-handed runner that missed long off of the back of the rim.
Schneringer came down on her extended left leg and immediately collapsed to the floor holding her knee, grimacing as she slapped the hardwood with her free hand.
“It was really painful, I knew I was going to be out for a while,” Schneringer said.
What Schneringer didn’t expect at that moment was the severity of the injury – a torn left ACL that could keep her sidelined for approximately nine months.
Injuries have become a part of the game for Schneringer throughout her high school career.
“Injuries always cross my mind when I’m playing. An ACL injury was definitely the biggest thing that I didn’t want to happen,” Schneringer said.
For Head Coach Marcus Mann, losing his standout senior has been “hard to believe and disheartening.”
“If anybody in our program went down, it’s tough that it’s Kylee,” Mann said, “Not only because of what she means to our program but because of what she has gone through in her athletic career here at Normal Community.”
Mann has watched Schneringer battle two shoulder injuries and now the ACL over her past three years as a varsity player. Now Mann will be tasked with finding a way to remain proficient without his star player.

You can’t… you can’t. There’s no replacing Kylee.

— Coach Marcus Mann

Mann was clear on the possibility of bouncing back from losing Schneringer.

“You can’t… you can’t. There’s no replacing Kylee,” Mann said. “We’re all going to chip in and do our best to try to get as close as we can to having her on the floor. But without her out there, we’re just going to make do, and try to grow and become better players.”

Schneringer, a true leader, feels for her teammates and fights to remain positive in this situation.
“I know they count on me a lot. I’m mad and frustrated, but I know having that attitude about it won’t change anything,” Schneringer said.

The Lady Iron have been shaken by the loss of the University of Alabama – Birmingham commit, going 1-5 over winter break to finish out 2019. With an overall record of 7-10, the Lady Iron play Moline at home in their next matchup on January 1.

$1880
$3000

Reid Watkins
Reid Watkins, Sports Editor
Reid Watkins is a senior at Normal Community High School and a member of the football program. In his first year with the Inkspot, Reid was promoted to Sports Editor. Reid commentates girls basketball, baseball and volleyball games that the Inkspot live streams on YouTube.  My favorite film is simultaneously Forrest Gump, Pitch Perfect and Anchorman 2. The best advice I could give to underclassmen is to respect all of your teachers.
$1880
$3000