Jaheem Webber de-commits from Wright State, commits to Southern Illinois

Webber announces decision to follow former Wright State basketball coach Scott Nagy to SIU
Jaheem Webber received offers from Bradley, Illinois State, Eastern Illinois, Cal Poly and Loyola Maryland, but announced his commitment to Wright State University in October 2023. Photo Courtesy: Mr. Jeff Christopherson
Jaheem Webber announced his decision to rescind his commitment to Wright State via Twitter.
The basketball standout originally signed a National Letter of Intent to play for the Raiders on Thursday, Nov 8.

Jaheem Webber announced his decision to decommit from Wright State University in a social media post on April 17; Webber will follow former Wright State basketball head coach Scott Nagy to Southern Illinois University to play for the Salukis.

Nagy was named Bryan Mullins’ successor at Southern on March 28, ending the university’s nation-wide coaching search. 

Southern announced March 8 the basketball program had parted ways with head coach Mullins, who led the program to a 86-68 record in five seasons, finishing 19-13 this season.

Nagy, with nearly three decades of head coaching experience, boasts a win record of 577-332. In eight seasons at Wright State, the veteran coach led the Raiders to three Horizon League regular-season championships, two Horizon League tournament championships, a pair of NCAA Tournament berths and five 20-plus wins seasons. 

Nagy, Webber said, was a significant factor in his decision to commit to Wright State initially. 

“One of the biggest reasons,” Webber said, “was the coaching staff and coach Nagy.”

When Webber learned Nagy, a three-time Horizon League Coach of the Year, would be leaving Wright State to replace Mullins, the 6-foot-10 center said he was caught off guard. 

“When I found out about the switch, I was surprised,” but now Webber sees the shift as a “great opportunity.” 

Webber initially visited SIU in 2022 but ultimately did not accept the Saluki’s offer under then-head coach Mullins. 

“After visiting the campus again, and seeing who Nagy brought in,” Webber said, Southern Illinois “felt like a great spot.”

The Salukis announced the hire of assistant coach Will Veasley on April 11. Veasley, the former University of Illinois-Chicago and North Dakota State assistant, is the all-time winningest player in Butler history and was a starter on the Bulldogs’ 2010 national runner-up team. 

The NCAA allows student-athletes to be released from a National Letter of Intent if “a head coach change occurs before the signee attends the signing institution or participates in preseason practice,” allowing Webber to decommit with any impact on his eligibility. 

Webber, an IHSA Class 4A Second-Team All-State selection, heads to Carbondale coming off of a senior season in which he averaged over 10 points a game, tallied 40 blocks and more than 200 rebounds.

Related: 6 Iron athletes sign National Letters of Intent
$1880
$3000

Jeffery Woodard
Jeffery Woodard, Senior Staff Reporter
Jeffery Woodard is a senior at Normal Community High School and is involved in track & field. This is his third year working with the Inkspot, and he is a senior staff reporter. On the weekends, I enjoy hanging out with friends and going to the gym. In my free time, I enjoy watching movies of all sorts. My favorite film is "Black Panther."
$1880
$3000