Boys cross country takes first at Normal Community open, girls place 6th

Boys cross country takes top honors at season opener

The boys cross country team took first in the Normal Community Co-Ed Open Sept. 1 at Maxwell Park, edging out Elmwood Brimfield 39-48. 

Two Ironmen posted top-five finishes, with Joey Yaros taking second and Jack Thomas finishing fourth out of a field of 128 competitors.

Yaros (’25) posted a time of 15:52, two seconds off of first-place pace.

Thomas (’24) crossed the finish line at 16:18.

Sophomore A.J. Ince placed sixth for the Ironmen, with a time of 16:33.

Caden Nyman (17:33) and Colin Heayh (17:39) took 14th and 15th respectively, rounding out Community’s score. 

The team races next at the Lee Halberg Invite on Sept. 9.

Cavanaugh leads young girls cross country roster in season opener

The girls cross country team placed sixth out of the seven-team field at the Normal Community Co-Ed Open, finishing 69 points behind meet winners El-Paso Gridley on Sept. 1.

Sophomore Lily Cavanaugh led the Iron at Maxwell Park, finishing 7th at 20:52.

Lauren Thomas (’27) and Beatrix Alvarez (’26) took 24th and 26th for Community, with times of 22:55 and 23:12 respectively.

Anna Fukumoto (’25) placed 34th (23:50), with Vidushi Shukla (’26) finishing in 47th place (25:31).

Community’s cross country roster is its smallest in decades, something evident in the season-opening race.

The team ran six competitors at the varsity level despite being eligible to race seven runners. Of the six runners, all but one are underclassmen.

The team next runs Sept. 9 at the Lee Halberg Invitational.

Correction: A previous version of this story spelled Anna Fukumoto’s name incorrectly.

$1880
$3000

About the Contributors
Terrion Darnell
Terrion Darnell, Staff Writer
Terrion Darnell is a senior at Normal Community High School, he is a member of the varsity basketball and track team. Terrion is a staff reporter for the Inkspot with this being his first year as a staff writer.   I am most comfortable when I am with my friends or family. On the weekend I hang out with friends and make music. I'd really like to meet Jayson Tatum. A random fact about me is that I am adopted.
Aki Griffin
Aki Griffin, Staff Writer
Aki Griffin is a senior at Normal Community High School. This is his first year working with the Inkspot and he is the staff writer.  My favorite film of all time is Scarface. In my lifetime I'd really like to meet LeBron James. If I won a million dollars I'd buy a 2022 AMG SL63 Mercedes.    
Bryce Hickman
Bryce Hickman, Staff Writer
Bryce Hickman is a junior at Normal Community High School and a member of Key Club and Bit by Bit Computer Science Club. Bryce Hickman is a staff writer for the Inkspot. I like practicing Jiu Jitsu and Taekwondo. If I won a million dollars, I would buy a house and pay for college.  
Carter Hull
Carter Hull, Staff Writer
Carter Hull is a junior and a member of Key club. He is also a staff writer for the Inkspot. My hidden talent is my exceptional Bop-It! ability. My favorite film is RRR.  
Ben Kerber
Ben Kerber, Staff Writer
Ben Kerber is a senior at Normal Community High School and a member of the Ironmen football team. He is a staff writer in his first year working with the Inkspot. My Favorite Film is “Cars.” The farthest I've been from home is Hawaii. On the weekend I hang out with friends. I'd really like to meet Anthony Rizzo.    
Bailey Kozlen
Bailey Kozlen, Staff Writer
  Bailey Kozlen is a junior at Normal Community High School. This is her first year working with the Inkspot as a staff writer. She is involved with theatre and everything performing arts-related. In my free time, I enjoy making coffee and going on long drives. My all-time dream is to live somewhere in a big city. My best advice is to take every chance and opportunity that comes your way.  
Malachi Mccool
Malachi Mccool, Staff Writer
Malachi McCool is a junior at Normal Community High School and is involved in Music Technology Club. This is his first year working with the Inkspot, and he is a staff writer.  A book that moved me was Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology.  Every weekend I dedicate some time to self-care.
Leonor Rivas
Leonor Rivas, Staff Writer
Leonor Rivas is a junior at Normal Community High School. She is a first-year staff writer for the Inkspot. My favorite film is "Heathers." A book that moved me is "One For Sorrow."
Brody Roberts
Brody Roberts, Staff Writer
Brody Roberts is a junior at Normal Community High School and is involved in track and field. This is his first year working with the Inkspot, and he is a staff writer.  What inspires me is my family and to make them proud. My favorite movie is “Oppenheimer.”
Anysia Russell
Anysia Russell, Staff Writer
Anysia Russell is a sophomore at Normal Community High School. This is her first year working with the Inkspot. She is a staff writer. In my free time, I enjoy writing poetry, reading, and listening to music. A slogan that I live by is “No grit, no grind, no glory.” My favorite films are the “Twilight” movie series.
$1880
$3000