Sports briefs: Week of Nov. 15

Girls Swimming

Kenna Malinowski (9), Nina Osborne (11), Meghan Kilcoin (11), and Larissa Harr (12) finished their season at the single-class IHSA State Swimming and Diving meet on Nov. 12-13 at the FMC Natatorium in Westmont.

Malinowski finished 28th in the 50-yard freestyle in 24.24 seconds, accomplishing her goal of swimming faster than her Sectional time. 

In the 100-yard freestyle, Malinowski placed 32nd.

Osborne finished 22nd in the 500-yard freestyle.

The 200-yard freestyle relay, consisting of Malinowski, Osborne, Kilcoin, and Harr, took 22nd.

National Signing Day

Four student-athletes formalized their commitments to compete at the collegiate level during Wednesday, Nov. 10’s National Signing Day ceremony.

Zach Cleveland (12) committed to Liberty University, playing Division I basketball in Virginia.

Isabelle McCormick (12) will continue her volleyball career at Division I University of North Dakota.

Laynee Scheck (12) signed to Pennsylvania’s Seton Hill University’s Division II lacrosse program.

Softball’s Lindsey Deroeck (12) heads to North Carolina, signing to Queens University of Charlotte’s Division II program.

Girls Basketball

The girls basketball team opened their season with a 62-38 Intercity victory over the Central Catholic Saints on Monday, Nov. 15.

The Lady Iron continue Intercity Tournament play with a match against U-High, Friday, Nov. 19 at Bloomington High School.

The team hopes, said point guard Karleigh Creasey, to bring home an outright Intercity Tournament victory for the first time since 2017.

Boys Basketball

Boys basketball opens their 2021-22 campaign Monday, Nov. 22 with the Intercity tournament at Illinois Wesleyan’s Shirk Center.

The Ironmen are looking to continue an eight game winning streak dating back to February of last year.

The team, led by Liberty University commit Zach Cleveland, take on the Central Catholic Saints Monday night.

Pork and Pigskin Competition

The A-Train concessions trailer won the Pork and Pigskin contest, claiming the “golden spatula.” 

Beating out 79 competing schools, the A-Train receives a championship banner and a $500.00 check for next season’s pork-related costs. 

Winning is an “awesome” way to honor the late Adam Denzer, the Community alum to whom the trailer is dedicated, according to A-Train volunteer Marty Pickett.

Normal West Volleyball

Normal West Wildcats volleyball team placed 3rd in the 3A IHSA State competition on Saturday, Nov. 13 at Illinois State University’s Redbird Arena.

West lost the State Semi-final match against Belvidere North 0-2 on Friday, Nov. 12 before defeating Joliet Catholic 2-0 Saturday, securing their 3rd place victory. 

$1880
$3000

About the Contributors
Matthew Beigie, Staff Writer
Matthew Beigie is a junior at Normal Community High School and is involved in the school orchestra. This is his first year working with the Inkspot, and he is a staff writer. On the weekends I enjoy hanging out with friends and playing basketball. I am interested in discovering different types of music. In my free time, I watch movies and listen to music.
Eli Benson, Staff Reporter
Eli Benson is senior at Normal Community High School and is involved in Varsity basketball, Senior Class Board, Social Studies club, and Internship Program. This is his first year with the Inkspot and he is a staff writer. My favorite film of all time is “Shawshank Redemption.” On the weekends I enjoy hanging out with my friends and working my part-time job.
Tyler Chapman, Senior Staff Reporter
Tyler Chapman is a senior at Normal Community High School and is a member of the soccer, cross country, and track & field teams. This is their second year working with the Inkspot as a senior staff reporter. My all-time dream is to wake up on top of a mountain and watch the sunrise. A slogan I like to live by is "can't" is a state of mind. In my free time, I like to play disc golf with my dad.
Ethan Scott, Staff Writer
Ethan Scott is a senior at NCHS, where he participates in theatre. This is his first year as a member of the Inkspot staff. In my free time, I like to watch football and baseball. My dream is to become a beat writer for the Packers. I hope to study sports journalism in college. 
$1880
$3000