BN Boys Lacrosse starts season 0-3

Defense struggles to limit opponents’ scoring chances
Junior+Ryan+Baxter+leads+BN+Lacrosse+in+goals+%287%29+and+assists+%287%29.+Baxter+has+12+shots+on+the+season.+Shooting+opportunities+have+been+a+weak+spot+this+season+as+the+team+struggles+to+control+possession.+
Junior Ryan Baxter leads BN Lacrosse in goals (7) and assists (7). Baxter has 12 shots on the season. Shooting opportunities have been a weak spot this season as the team struggles to control possession.

After their first winning season in Bloomington-Normal Boys Lacrosse program history last year, BN Lacrosse opened the 2024 campaign without a win, losing all three opening matches.
BN started the season with a 14-4 defeat to Lemont, followed by a 13-4 loss to Lockport. In their most recent game against Dunlap, they put up their best performance but ended with a 14-11 loss.
Against Lemont, BN trailed 4-2 after the first quarter and 7-1 against Lockport after the second. However, in the game against Dunlap, the score was knotted 6-6 at halftime.
Despite a spirited effort, BN Lacrosse couldn’t contain Dunlap’s scoring spree in the third quarter, where the Eagles netted six goals. Although BN managed to outscore Dunlap 5-2 in the final quarter, they couldn’t mount a comeback before time expired.

That final period of play, though, marked the first quarter of the season where BN Lacrosse has outscored an opponent.

Juniors Ryan Baxter and Geffen Smith are leading the scoring charge this season, Baxter tallied seven goals this season and Smith recording four. The duo have found the back of the net in each of the team’s three contests this season.

Baxter’s performance Saturday game, with five goals and six assists, has earned him the title of the assist leader, as the junior accounts for seven out of the team’s total 13.

Bloomington senior Ethan Nydegger made his mark on the stat sheet Saturday with two goals and three assists.

Nydegger is third on the team in scoring this season, with three goals, and second in assists with four.

With the departure of the team’s top two scorers from last season, Nydegger, Smith and Baxter look to be the team’s offensive leaders this season.

Community’s Thomas Eganhouse demonstrated his offensive ability Saturday, earning his first goal and assist against the Eagles.

BN has struggled with possession this season, which the team needs to improve to limit opponents’ scoring opportunities.

The Purple Ironcats have committed 76 turnovers to their opponents’ 47. The result has seen the team outshot 119-64.

Despite goalie Quinn Butler’s commendable performance in the net with 60 saves this season, averaging 20 per game, his impact has been diminished by the sheer number of shots he has had to face.

Sophomore Mason Caraway has made an impact in BN’s struggle for possession, recording eight turnovers against Dunlap and winning 19 faceoffs.
Faceoffs are a statistical category where the team has out performed their opponents, winning 39 to their opponents’ 30.

A bright spot has been Community’s Mason Caraway and first-year player Chase Witt. Caraway leads the team with 10 groundballs, while Witt has a team-second six.

Caraway, a sophomore has also demonstrated his ability to control the faceoff, winning 19 draws on Saturday.

BN Lacrosse will seek their first win on April 4 when they face the undefeated Washington Panthers (2-0) on the road.

$1880
$3000

About the Contributors
Zachary Knox-Doyle
Zachary Knox-Doyle, Senior Staff Reporter
Zachary Knox-Doyle is a junior at Normal Community High School and plays on the school's tennis team. He is a Senior Staff Reporter at the Inkspot. One of my biggest inspirations is Candace Parker because of her insane skills on the basketball court, never back down attitude and the work she's done for ESPN behind the mic. I am most comfortable and content when I'm playing tennis and basketball simply for the love of the sport.
Jeffery Woodard
Jeffery Woodard, Senior Staff Reporter
Jeffery Woodard is a senior at Normal Community High School and is involved in track & field. This is his third year working with the Inkspot, and he is a senior staff reporter. On the weekends, I enjoy hanging out with friends and going to the gym. In my free time, I enjoy watching movies of all sorts. My favorite film is "Black Panther."
$1880
$3000