Sports Briefs: Week of April 5

Jeff Christopherson

Girls Track

Ali Ince’s time of 2:05.42 in the 800 meter race at the Arcadia Invitational in California broke the all-time record for the event at the prestigious national meet.

Ince joins elite company as an Arcadia Invitational record holder. Two time Olympic gold medalist Sydney McLaughlin and Olympic sprinter and bronze medalist Noah Lyles set records at Arcadia in 2017 and 2016 respectively. 

While Ince ran in California, the rest of the Lady Iron competed in Metamora on Saturday, April 9. 

Community finished second out of fourteen teams after earning first place finishes in five events, despite the absence of distance runners Ince and Olivia Hartke (’22).

On the track, Jazmin West (’24) finished first in the 100m dash, and Jordynn Griffin (’22) won the 400m open and anchored the first place 4 x 400m relay team.

Carina Engst (’22), Abigail Ziemer (’24) and Anna Dunne (’23) ran the 4 x 400m with Griffin. 

In the field, Ruth Oliveros-Gallardo (’23) overpowered the competition in the shot put and Sydney Chong (’22) soared past her opponents in the triple jump.

On Monday, April 11, Ince returned to compete with the team in a meet against Normal West.

The competition was not officially scored.

The team’s next varsity meet is the Bloomington Invite on Friday, April 15. 

Boys Track

The Ironmen earned team victories in a tri-meet at Pontiac on Tuesday, April 5 and a fourteen team Metamora meet on Saturday, April 9.

In Metamora, the Ironmen 4 x 100 meter relay team of Jalen Barnes (’22), Jack Freymann (’23), Tommy Davis (’24) and Evan Lowder (’22) finished first. 

Lowder also won the 200m dash, and his 51 second split of the 4 x 400m relay would have won the 400m open race by two seconds.

Alex Sohn outhrew the competition in the shot put and discuss events while Charles Cruse set the bar high in the pole vault, winning with a vault of 4.70 meters.

Tonight, Community competes at Normal West in a meet solely between the Ironmen and Wildcats. Normal West won the indoor Big-12 meet back in March while Community finished second. 

Softball

The Lady Iron (3-3) brought the Champaign Centennial Chargers (0-5) to a halt with a 15-0 shutout victory on Saturday, April 9. The game was called with Community up 15-0 after four innings.

Cadan Brinkman (‘22) drove in six runs to lead the Lady Iron. Leigha Luering (‘22) poured in four RBIs as well.

Lindsey DeRoeck (‘22) was surgical on the mound, striking out nine and allowing one hit through four innings en route to a win.

The Lady Iron travel to face Mt. Zion (7-4) tonight at 4:15 p.m.

Boys Lacrosse

The Bloomington-Normal lacrosse co-op (1-2) faced Homewood-Flossmoor (0-5) on Wednesday, April 6, defeating the Vikings 14-3. 

Ironmen junior Alec Freeman scored 4 goals against the Vikings, and Community freshman Ryan Baxter netted a hat trick in the game.  

Tonight, the Purple IronCats face Central Catholic in the Saints’ first ever game as a program.

Girls Soccer

The Lady Iron (5-1-2) were shutout for the first time this season, tying Richwoods (5-3-1) 0-0 on April 5. Two days later, Community declawed the Urbana Tigers (1-4) in a 9-0 victory.

Shifting back to non-conference action, the Lady Iron defeated the Moline Maroons (5-2-2) by a score of 6-3 on Friday, April 8.

Tonight the Lady Iron will play host to the Peoria High Lions (0-3) at 4:30 p.m before finishing up the Intercity tournament against Central Catholic tomorrow.

Baseball

The Ironmen baseball team swept a doubleheader against Champaign Centennial on Saturday to remain undefeated in Big 12 conference play thus far. 

In their first game against the Chargers, Community led the charge, winning 13-3. On the bump, Ethan Eberle (‘24) pitched four hitless innings and got the win. 

In the teams second meeting, Centennial pulled closer, rallying with four runs between the 6th and 7th innings, but ultimately falling to the Ironmen 9-5. 

Two days later, Community traveled to Illinois State’s Duffy Bass to face rival U-High.

The Pioneers held off a late Ironmen rally, which included a two RBI triple by Chase Weise (’23), to win 13-6. 

With the loss, Community falls to 5-7. The upcoming schedule includes back to back games against Peoria Richwoods, tonight at home and Thursday on the road. 

Girls Lacrosse

The Purple IronCats (2-3) were defeated by the Lockport Porters (6-0) by a score of 21-9 on Tuesday, April 5. Despite the loss, Laynee Scheck (‘22) and Mak Grisinger (‘22) both recorded hat tricks.

The Purple IronCats then picked up their second win of the season defeating the Washington Panthers (0-3) 11-9. Grisinger recorded seven goals in the game, also notching the 100th goal of her career.

Bloomington-Normal travels to face the O’Fallon Panthers (1-6) on Saturday, April 16.

Boys Tennis:

The Ironmen opened their season with an 8-1 victory over U-High on Monday, April 4. A week later, Community defeated Big-12 opponent Peoria Notre Dame 7-2. They face Normal West on Thursday, April 14.

$1780
$3000

About the Contributors
Eli Schneider, Senior Staff Reporter
Eli Schneider is a senior at Normal Community High School and in his third year of working with the Inkspot as a Senior Staff Reporter. Eli plays varsity lacrosse for the B-N Lacrosse co-op and enjoys watching baseball, football, and hockey at both the collegiate and professional levels. Eli plans to attend the University of Mississippi in the fall of 2022 and major in Marketing Strategy and minor in Journalism  An all-time dream of mine would be to work in marketing/P.R for an MLB or NHL team My favorite places to travel are Oxford, Mississippi, Dallas, Texas, and Denver, Colorado
Dylan Wehmeyer, Senior Staff Reporter
Dylan Wehmeyer is a senior at Normal Community High School and is involved with Best Buddies and FMP. This is his third year working with the Inkspot; he is a senior staff reporter. A book that moved me is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. A slogan I live by is "You never know what someone is going through. Be kind. Always."
Jonah Kramer, Sports Editor
Jonah Kramer is a senior at Normal Community High School and participates in Best Buddies, FBLA and cross country. This is his second year working with the Inkspot, where he is a senior staff reporter. A random fact about me is that my front tooth has been broken five different times. My favorite film is Knives Out. What inspires me is Jesus Christ.
$1780
$3000