Lady Iron return to play

Karleigh+Creasey+%2822%29+transitions+down+the+court+in+the+Lady+Irons+season+opener+win+over+Moline.+
Photo Courtesy of: Mr. Jeff Findley
Karleigh Creasey (’22) transitions down the court in the Lady Iron’s season opener win over Moline.

The Lady Iron varsity basketball team followed safety protocols and quarantined after close contact to COVID-19 — the result of an opponent having several team members test positive for the virus. The team was excited to return to the court last night on the road against the Bloomington High School Raiders.

Before Thursday night’s matchup, junior Karleigh Creasey said she was “so excited to be back playing after [the team’s] quarantine.”

But the point guard was most excited about seeing her teammates again. “We all missed each other so much,” Creasey said.

While none of the varsity team members tested positive due to their close contact, the varsity team was forced to miss two games.

Before the quarantine, the varsity squad was undefeated. The Lady Iron JV roster played the team’s matchups against Danville and Peoria High instead of those canceling games in an already shortened season.

Community lost by double digits against both opponent’s varsity rosters.

“This is a unique season, for sure,” Coach Feeney said, “we need to enjoy every moment.”

Despite their time off the court, the Lady Iron worked to follow the program’s new motto of remaining “tough and together.”

“I know [tonight’s game is] not going to be perfect,” Creasey said, “but I do know that we are going to go out and play our hardest just like we always do.”

With four games scheduled in five days, the Lady Iron head into the back half of the season thankful.

“First and foremost,” Coach Feeney said, “we are thankful to be playing.”

$1880
$3000

Olivia Plangger
Olivia Plangger, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Olivia Plangger is a senior at Normal Community and a second-year Inkspot reporter. Throughout her time in high school, she has competed on the Lady Iron basketball team, performed with the NCHS Chamber Orchestra, and formed bonds while in Generation Connect club.  A favorite film of mine is the Sandlot. The best advice I could give to an underclassman is to take advantage of every opportunity, stay involved, and enjoy your time.
$1880
$3000