Locker room fire investigation nearing resolution

The+Normal+Fire+Department+was+at+Community+Wednesday%2C+Dec.+6.+++investigating+a+small+fire+set+by+a+student+in+the+boys+locker+room+in+the+Athletic+hallway.+%0ASchool+Resource+Officer+Mr.+Jeremy+Flood+said+the+investigation+is+still+ongoing.+
Mr. Brad Bovenkerk
The Normal Fire Department was at Community Wednesday, Dec. 6. investigating a small fire set by a student in the boys locker room in the Athletic hallway. School Resource Officer Mr. Jeremy Flood said the investigation is still ongoing.

The investigation into a small fire that occurred in the boys locker room on Dec. 6 remains open, according to Community’s School Resource Officer Mr. Jeremy Flood.

Flood declined to provide specific details about the ongoing investigation, stating, “It’s an open investigation… so I don’t want to give away any details. I’m still hoping to make an arrest.”

Earlier this school year, staff implemented measures to secure gym hallways, restricting access to students outside of their physical education periods.

“That narrowed down exactly who should be in there and who shouldn’t,” Flood said.

While security procedures have narrowed the list of suspect, an arrest had not been made as of late last week.

The investigation, Flood said, has “created quite a bit of work… The fire department and the Normal Police Department are actively investigating side by side.”

Administration confirmed that the fire was ignited in a paper towel dispenser, resulting in minimal smoke damage and the replacement of the paper towel dispenser. There was no damage to personal property.

“Our response was incredible,” Flood said. “Mr. Barnard got to play the firefighter hero and put it out quickly.”

A professional cleaning company worked with custodial crews to address the smoke damage in the locker room Wednesday evening and Thursday last week.

“They were able to get repaired and back in order within like a day,” Flood said.

$1880
$3000

About the Contributors
Bayli Ferris
Bayli Ferris, Staff Writer
Bayli Ferris is a senior at Normal Community High School where she's involved in clubs such as Generations Connect and Younglife. This is her first year as an Inkspot staff writer.  I like Phoebe Bridgers, ice cream and warm weather. On the weekend I like to get coffee with my dad and hang out with friends. My favorite movie is The Edge of Seventeen.
Ali Ince
Ali Ince, Staff Writer
Ali Ince is a senior at Normal Community High School who runs track and cross country and plays basketball. She is also the treasurer on the Student Council and a huddle leader for Fellowship of Christian Athletes. This is her first year on the Inkspot as a staff writer.  
Abigail Ziemer
Abigail Ziemer, Staff Writer
Abigail Ziemer is a senior at Normal Community High School and participates in track and field. This is her first year as an Inskpot staff writer.  On the weekends I enjoy spending time with my dog, Baxter, being outside and seeing my friends. What inspires me is the people and community in BloNo. I like creating art, drinking coffee and listening to Taylor Swift.    
$1880
$3000