Normal Marching Band kicks off 2023 season with consecutive 2nd place finishes

Ryan Budzinski
“That first show we didn’t complete the full show,” Band Director Mr. Paul Carter said. “Last week was our first time having the whole show on the field, but we were still learning at that point. “Over the next few weeks, we’ll continue to refine and continue to develop and improve… and strive for that excellence that we’re always going for.”

The Normal Marching Band took second in their first two competitions, debuting the 2023 season show “The Game.”

The season opener at the Washington Invite was a rematch of last year’s State Finals, with the NMB once again finishing 2nd behind the defending 6A State Champions from Morton High School.

The band delivered a condensed performance of their show, a modern take on chess, which features songs from the musical “Hamilton” and iconic rock band Queen.

Visually, NMB co-director Mr. Paul Carter said, this year’s chess-themed performance is vibrant.

“It’s not the basic black and white boring color scheme,” Carter said. “We’ve thrown a lot of really bright, fun colors in there.”

Learning this season’s show was made more accessible after the NMB won a Beyond The Books Foundation grant. The funds allowed NMB to map their drill digitally, the show’s choreography, using an app.

“Now,” Carter said, the performers, “can just hit play and watch the drill… and see how it changes and develops over time.”

After finishing as runners-up with their first presentation of the full-length show at Northern Illinois University’s Red and Black Fall Classic on Sept. 16, the band has their sights on October’s competition.

Carter said the group is looking towards a finals run at the Bands Of America Super Regional Championship this year after falling short in St. Louis the past few years.

$1880
$3000

About the Contributors
Bella Green
Bella Green, Staff Writer
Bella Green is a junior at Normal Community High School. This is her first year working with the Inkspot, and she is a staff writer. I like to watch basketball, my favorite teams are the Boston Celtics, Dallas Wings and South Carolina Gamecocks. In my free time, I enjoy discovering new shows and movies.  
Bailey Kozlen
Bailey Kozlen, Staff Writer
  Bailey Kozlen is a junior at Normal Community High School. This is her first year working with the Inkspot as a staff writer. She is involved with theatre and everything performing arts-related. In my free time, I enjoy making coffee and going on long drives. My all-time dream is to live somewhere in a big city. My best advice is to take every chance and opportunity that comes your way.  
Leonor Rivas
Leonor Rivas, Staff Writer
Leonor Rivas is a junior at Normal Community High School. She is a first-year staff writer for the Inkspot. My favorite film is "Heathers." A book that moved me is "One For Sorrow."
$1880
$3000