Normal Community's student news

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

I have been a fan of The Hunger Games Trilogy for a long time. I credit myself as one of the first fans of the series, seeing as though I read the first book within a couple months of its original release. As millions worldwide now have, I read through the books and became captivated with the stories.

It was about a year after I finished the books when The Hunger Games movie came out, and my interest was sparked again. So, up until November 22, I had speculated what the new movie, Catching Fire, would include. Would it show the social and economical differences between the districts? How about Katniss and Peeta’s relationship? How would it portray the unrest and rioting happening in the district?

Well, put your worries to rest. Catching Fire is here and it delivers. The first scene you witness is Katniss struggling with the actions she had to take in her first Hunger Games.She has nightmares about the death of Rue and her involvement in the killings.

Jennifer Lawrence proves that she is a force to be reckoned with as the introverted and frightened Katniss, and you believe her character every minute. Lawrence  just tops the line of fantastic acting in this film.

Josh Hutcherson stars alongside her as Peeta Mellark, Katniss’s partner during the games and the recipient of her media-filled love story.

There is also Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne, Katniss’s best friend and possible love interest.

The role that really stood out to me was Donald Sutherland as President Snow, the totalitarian president of the dystopian Panem. Sutherland was perfectly cast as the icy cold leader, and his lines always seemed well calculated and scheming.

Even as the story followed Katniss and Peeta as they enter a new and more sinister Hunger Games, I found myself wrapped up in the rest of Panem. The world that Catching Fire delved into is adventurously restricting.

I felt as if I was on the Victory Tour with Katniss, seeing the varied districts and feeling her hopelessness as she acted her way across them. I felt emotional when I saw the brutality toward the residents of these districts. I wanted to know more backstories to the prior victors and how they won, this was an element that I felt was underdeveloped in the film.

All in All, Catching Fire put me into a world that I didn’t want to leave and won’t soon forget.

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

300 Words

300 Words: A new world

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

300 Words

300 Words: New kid on the block

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

Quiz: How bad is your senioritis?

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Arts & Entertainment

Rader’s season is over; what happens now?

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Arts & Entertainment

Video: Madrigals performers on upcoming concert

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

Spot the difference: Student section

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

Spot the difference: Chapbooks Lunch and Learn

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Coloring

Coloring Iron Ike

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

Spot the difference: Cheer

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Arts & Entertainment

Spot the difference: ‘Miracle Worker’

Normal Community's student news
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire