The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

I have been a fan of The Hunger Games Trilogy for a long time. I credit myself as one of the first fans of the series, seeing as though I read the first book within a couple months of its original release. As millions worldwide now have, I read through the books and became captivated with the stories.

It was about a year after I finished the books when The Hunger Games movie came out, and my interest was sparked again. So, up until November 22, I had speculated what the new movie, Catching Fire, would include. Would it show the social and economical differences between the districts? How about Katniss and Peeta’s relationship? How would it portray the unrest and rioting happening in the district?

Well, put your worries to rest. Catching Fire is here and it delivers. The first scene you witness is Katniss struggling with the actions she had to take in her first Hunger Games.She has nightmares about the death of Rue and her involvement in the killings.

Jennifer Lawrence proves that she is a force to be reckoned with as the introverted and frightened Katniss, and you believe her character every minute. Lawrence  just tops the line of fantastic acting in this film.

Josh Hutcherson stars alongside her as Peeta Mellark, Katniss’s partner during the games and the recipient of her media-filled love story.

There is also Liam Hemsworth as Gale Hawthorne, Katniss’s best friend and possible love interest.

The role that really stood out to me was Donald Sutherland as President Snow, the totalitarian president of the dystopian Panem. Sutherland was perfectly cast as the icy cold leader, and his lines always seemed well calculated and scheming.

Even as the story followed Katniss and Peeta as they enter a new and more sinister Hunger Games, I found myself wrapped up in the rest of Panem. The world that Catching Fire delved into is adventurously restricting.

I felt as if I was on the Victory Tour with Katniss, seeing the varied districts and feeling her hopelessness as she acted her way across them. I felt emotional when I saw the brutality toward the residents of these districts. I wanted to know more backstories to the prior victors and how they won, this was an element that I felt was underdeveloped in the film.

All in All, Catching Fire put me into a world that I didn’t want to leave and won’t soon forget.

About the Writer
Cameron Rink, Staff Reporter

Cameron Rink is a Junior at NCHS who participates in Cross Country, Track, and Student Council. He works for the Inkspot as a 2nd year staff reporter.

Slogan to live by

“I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.”  – Jewish Proverb

Guilty pleasure

I am an avid watcher of Downton Abbey every Sunday.

Random fact about me

I was born on Christmas day.

Hidden talent

I can almost rap the entirety of “Ice Ice Baby”.

All-Time Dream

To rap the entirety of “Ice Ice Baby”.

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

Larger population as positive for students?

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

Unsung Homecoming tradition

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

STEM stuck in bloom

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

2018-19 Back to school assembly

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

Review: Liking “I Like Me Better”

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Arts & Entertainment

Review: Echosmith track a miss

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

9 best things about Bloomington/Normal

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

NCHS After Prom – Mapped Out

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

Spot the Difference: Student walkout

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Features

Spot the Difference: Apple launch event

Normal Community's student news
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire