3 key takeaways from Ironmen’s commanding victory over Moline Maroons

Newsome is shooting 65% over the last five games. The senior is shooting 57.6% on the season. While Newsome is averaging 9.1 points per game this season, he has been averaging 13.2 over the last five contests. Photo Courtesy: Mr. Jeff Christopherson

When the Ironmen took on the Moline Maroons in Feb. 10’s regular season matchup, the outcome was decided by one basket. Defending the reigning 4A State Champions pushed Community to their limits, and the Iron barely escaped with a 31-29 victory, a score that resembled most of Community’s halftime scores this season.

Ahead of that game, assistant coach Mr. Matt Schweinberg predicted that the contest could be a playoff preview. 

That prediction came true when the Ironmen and Maroons met in the playoffs for the third straight year in Feb. 27’s Pekin Sectional Semifinals game. 

Monday’s game between emerging rivals seemed poised to be another competitive and exciting matchup. The result was far from that.

The Ironmen posted a dominant 61-44 performance, winning by a 17-point margin, which certainly could’ve been larger if the Ironmen hadn’t extended possessions in the 4th quarter to run the clock out. 

Community erased a 15-12 Maroons lead in the opening minutes of the second quarter; those three points would prove to be the defending champs’ largest lead of the game, as the Ironmen tallied off an 18-4 run to finish the half. 

Leading by as much as 22, the Ironmen punched their ticket to the 4A Sectional Finals in as convincing a victory as any this season. Now, the Iron prepare to take on the Quincy Blue Devils on Friday in the IHSA’s Super Sixteen.

But why was the Ironmen’s rematch versus Moline seemingly such a blowout? What made this victory over the 27-6 Maroons so drastically different from the contest just two weeks go? How were the Ironmen able to put up nearly double the points against the Maroons when Moline held them to a season-low in their last meeting?

Here are three key takeaways from Tuesday’s matchup.

Niko Newsome is getting hot at the perfect time

When Niko Newsome traded in the purple and gold of Bloomington High School for the orange and black, the senior transfer had fans speculating at what the surge of talent would mean for the Iron’s playoff potential.

With 959 career points for the Raiders, Newsome could propel the Ironmen to new heights and take some pressure off the Ironmen’s established stars.

That has certainly proven true. And while the Sakinaw Valley commit has been an asset to the Ironmen all year, recent weeks have seen Newsome elevate his play to another level, solidifying his indispensability on the court. 

Newsome delivered an emphatic 20-point display on Tuesday, a season-high. With his ability to penetrate defenses and ignite fast breaks, he provided a reliable scoring option. He infuses Community with an electrifying energy, leaving both teammates and fans buzzing. His array of and-one plays, and an acrobatic lob-finish exemplified his electricity on the court, as he proved too much for the Maroons.

While Newsome is capable of a highlight-reel play at any moment, he has catalyzed an overall improvement in team dynamics. The senior’s effectiveness in driving to the basket has relieved pressure off point guard Braylon Roman. Roman, the team’s leading scorer, has seen increased opportunities to showcase other aspects of his game, particularly his three-point shooting, where he leads the team with a 36% accuracy rate. 

The three-ball is perhaps the weakest spot in the Ironmen’s offense, but with Roman free to shoot more uncontested shots, it adds a weapon into the community arsenal. Roman did damage against the Maroons, sinking two threes in the win.

Newsome’s presence has provided strategic advantages for big men Jaheem Webber and Noah Cleveland. 

Newsome’s ability to draw defensive attention has created opportunities for Webber and Cleveland to establish favorable positions for scoring or rebounding, enhancing overall offensive efficiency. In their recent matchup, the duo combined for 12 points while only missing two shots.

Despite occasional concerns about his efficiency earlier in the season, Newsome silenced critics with a 75% field goal accuracy against Moline, effortlessly maneuvering through defenses and finishing through contact.

Newsome epitomizes the Ironmen’s goal laid out by head coach Mr. Dave Witzig earlier this season.

“Our goal is to keep getting better,” Witzig said, “So in March, we’re playing our best basketball.”

March has arrived, and for Newsome, it marks the peak of his prowess, as Tuesday showed Community playing their best ball. 

There is nothing subpar about the substitutions 

The Ironmen boasted undeniable star power since the preseason, yet questions lingered, particularly regarding depth.

While the starting lineup of Braylon Roman, Niko Newsome, Dexter Niekamp, Noah Cleveland and Jaheem Webber seemed predictable easily inked in before a game, uncertainty loomed beyond these seasoned seniors. 

Who would step up when they needed a breather?

Enter juniors, Connor Smith and Kobe Walker, proving they are more than capable in a crucial game.

Smith, a Rantoul transfer, showcased his experience with 22 minutes on the court, delivering reliable shooting, ball handling and tenacious defense. Smith is second on the team in three-point percentage, shooting 33% on the year. Despite making one three-pointer in Tuesday’s game, Smith is a proven threat from beyond the arc and demands constant attention, a vital asset for the Ironmen’s postseason ambitions if they want to keep playing deep into March. 

Meanwhile, with Webber playing just 16 minutes against the Maroons, sidelined due to foul trouble, 6-foot-9 Walker seized the opportunity, contributing two points, four rebounds, and a crucial steal in just 10 minutes. His defensive prowess stifled Moline’s Trey Taylor, limiting the seasoned big man to 11 points on a dismal 2-for-12 shooting.

Walker’s versatility in guarding multiple positions, including the perimeter, is valuable as the competition intensifies.

While the spotlight often shines on the stars, the Ironmen’s depth, embodied by players like Smith and Walker, proves invaluable. Their seamless integration against formidable opponents like Moline underscores Coach Witzig’s strategic options as the team navigates tougher challenges ahead, giving the Ironmen another hand to play as the Communty gears up to keep the season alive against more challenging competition.

Height prevails

Despite facing challenging opponents in Rock Island and Moline, whose combined record stood at an impressive 51-16, the Orange and Black have shown remarkable control of the court in the last two games.

Ultimately, that comes down to a single, undeniable advantage—one that sets the Ironmen apart from nearly every team in the state: size.

The Ironmen, with no players under 6 foot 4 in the starting lineup, have been able to physically overpower opponents these last two games. This size advantage has translated into convincing victories, easing the team’s path through the playoffs. 

While future opponents may present more demanding challenges, few can match up against the Ironmen man-for-man in terms of height, a factor they must exploit to prolong their season.

In the Sectional Semifinals, the Ironmen outrebounded the Maroons 30-9, including six crucial offensive rebounds. His dominance on the boards denied Moline second-chance opportunities and created scoring opportunities for the Ironmen. Coupled with a 75% two-point field goal percentage as a team, it’s clear how the Ironmen coasted to victory.

The Ironmen leveraged their size advantage to draw the whistle in the contest, as the Maroons racked up 15 fouls. This saw four Maroons with at least three fouls by the time the buzzer sounded, even with hardly any intentional fouling in the fourth quarter.

Community can force teams into foul trouble, forcing them to make tough decisions about defending without fouling or risk their players fouling out. Either plays into the Ironmen’s hands, allowing them to seize control of the game. They can execute from the line or dominate from the air. Look out below; the dunk-o-meter exists for a reason. 

With the red-hot duo of Roman and Newsome leading the charge in the backcourt, combined with the Ironmen’s size advantage, opposing teams face an uphill battle. Short of a classic Draymond Green-style sucker punch, there may be no stopping this juggernaut of a team. 

Even that might not be enough.

One thing is certain: Tuesday’s demonstrated that the Iron can punch a ticket to State if they keep this up.

The Ironmen are rolling.

$1880
$3000

Ben Kerber
Ben Kerber, Staff Writer
Ben Kerber is a senior at Normal Community High School and a member of the Ironmen football team. He is a staff writer in his first year working with the Inkspot. My Favorite Film is “Cars.” The farthest I've been from home is Hawaii. On the weekend I hang out with friends. I'd really like to meet Anthony Rizzo.    
$1880
$3000