Clash of the Communities: QB combo can lead Iron over Dohn Community, into playoffs

A 50-43 triple-overtime victory over Danville kept Community’s playoff hopes alive with three games remaining in the season.  

The Iron (3-3) look to extend their two-game winning streak as they host Dohn Community of Cincinnati Saturday, Oct. 8, at 1 p.m.

Dohn (3-2) enters the first-ever Clash of the Communities, averaging 22 points a game to Normal’s 31.

Dohn Community replaced Urbana on Normal’s schedule after the Tigers forfeited the 2022 season.

To secure a spot in the playoffs and keep a quarter-century playoff appearance streak alive, the Iron need a win Saturday. 

After being shut out offensively by Normal West, Community will look to the quarterback combo of sophomore Kyle Beaty and junior Brady Augstin to continue their recent production.

Last week against Danville, the duo combined for six touchdowns.

Beaty threw for 313 yards and four touchdowns, with Augstin adding two rushing touchdowns during overtime play.

Beaty will look for favorite targets, senior wide receivers Cam Thierry and Elliot Oliver Saturday.

Beaty connected twice last week with Thierry for touchdowns on 64- and 15-yard tosses.

Oliver caught two touchdowns of his own — pulling in a pair of five-yard receptions.

Augstin adds to the Iron’s running threat, complementing a backfield of Tommy Davis and Chris Taylor.

Augstin scored twice last week from one yard out and serves as a goal-line threat. 

While five wins may qualify the Ironmen for the playoffs, they can control their postseason fate by winning out. 

The Ironmen face Peoria Notre Dame on the road next Saturday before hosting Peoria Manual in the final week of the regular season. 

$1780
$3000

Jeffery Woodard, Senior Staff Reporter
Jeffery Woodard is a senior at Normal Community High School and is involved in track & field. This is his third year working with the Inkspot, and he is a senior staff reporter. On the weekends, I enjoy hanging out with friends and going to the gym. In my free time, I enjoy watching movies of all sorts. My favorite film is "Black Panther."
$1780
$3000