Area teens struggle to find jobs

As teens start to reach the legal working age of 16, more and more of them are out scouting for potential jobs to earn some money, whether it be for extra cash or help pay the bills.

However, it is getting progressively more difficult to find a part time job,  especially in a college town. It’s not easy to find a hiring manager that is willing to take a chance on a high school student, let alone ones that have no prior work experience.

Even with working experience, managers are still hesitant to give high school students a job.  With college students in town so frequently, managers tend to lean towards applicants with more availability and fluidity in their schedules.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics , over 20% of teenagers are unemployed despite wanting a job.

Scott Hendricks(11) expresses his frustration with trying to find another job.  Currently employed (though Hendricks feels this is due to a friend recommending him to his employer), Hendricks has put in over 10 applications to other employers in his search for another job.

Hendricks feels like college students get most of the available jobs, and “high schoolers get screwed.”  Whether it’s due to how employers set up their scheduling or if they desire older personnel, businesses  just don’t seem willing to hire younger workers unless they somehow have a connection to the place they’re applying to.

However, despite being discouraged by the statistics of unemployment, high school students should not be discouraged of entering applications.  Students simply need to know that if they plan to apply for jobs, prepare for disappointment, because not all managers are willing to take a chance on a younger worker.

$1880
$3000

Brandi Zimmerman
Brandi Zimmerman, Staff Reporter
Brandi Zimmerman is a senior at Normal Community High School.  She is a staff reporter for the Inkspot for her second year in a row and favors her piece covering last year's senior prank.   The Best Advice I have Ever Gotten: was "Don't let the crap get you down."  One of my favorite teachers here at NCHS told me that when I was going through a difficult time last year and it truly inspired me.  It was said in a little more explicit words, but it is still a phrase I hold to my heart.  It just shows that some teachers do care, and some really know how to help students. My Favorite Film: Perks of Being a Wallflower or the X-Men series. Favorite Song: "Somewhere in Neverland" by All Time Low or "Running Out of Time" by Simple Plan  
$1880
$3000