Larger population as positive for students?

Back to Article
Back to Article

A shot from the halls outside of a classroom during passing periods.

Caitlin Wonsowski

Caitlin Wonsowski

Caitlin Wonsowski

Some faculty members see the large student population as having a positive effect on students. With higher attendance numbers, students are provided with more social opportunities.

The higher enrollment at Community can provide students with more opportunities to build peer relationships, to learn patience, and prepare themselves for the world after high school.  All this while increasing the chances of students meeting others with similar interests. 

In recent years, the population growth has lead to the creation of Strategy club, the boxing club, and this year’s Music Technology club.

The benefits of the increased enrollment compared to West can be seen in action in We Dine Together, where individuals who may not have people to sit with at lunch can meet others in the same situation and potentially build friendships.

School Resource Officer Mr. Jeremy Flood, has seen the population of NCHS rise to 2151 students in his four years here. Flood addressed that the student numbers may be a challenge for staff; that his job is more difficult with the number of students attending football games and during lunch hours where the kids can move around the school more freely.

But he thinks “it’s a positive for students because it teaches patience and prepares you for the real world.” “It teaches you how to wait in line,” Flood said, ” it teaches you how to take your turn and when you get out into the real world, it’s not such a shock that ‘hey we’re not in a little building anymore.’”

Flood graduated from Chicago high school which had 4,300 student. He stated that it would take at least an hour for everyone to get out of the parking lot and then an additional 45 minutes in traffic for students like him to get home. Compared to our parking lot situation it seems to be nothing.

At his high school, “we all had to get out of one parking lot too,” Flood said. “It took closer to an hour. At this parking lot, within 15 to 20 minutes everybody’s out and everybody’s home.”

Students feel the same way as Flood – seeing the real world value of the school’s size. “I feel like the parking lot is obviously very crowded with cars,” Peytan Corcoran, a junior, said. “But people also have to take matters into their own hands and drive safer. Not only think about getting out faster, think about everyone else’s safety.” 

Flood’s duty of keeping students and staff safe changed this year with the addition of two safety monitors. Flood, who is in support of the addition of safety monitors, referred to the monitors as “two more sets of eyes to keep the building safe.”

Safety monitor Michael Triplett expressed some issues with the school’s continued growth in terms of  students “being late to class in between passing periods.” While passing periods have been shortened slightly, “sometimes… kids struggle to get through,” Triplett said, “and sometimes, they’re talking.” 

Principal Trevor Chapman sees the negatives in the large student population as well. Chapman believes the class size numbers are taking a toll on the staff. He sees how stressful it is to plan activities like homecoming, and how crowded the school is during passing periods and lunch hours.  

About the Writers
Tommy Olsson, Staff Reporter

Tommy Olson is in his junior year at Normal Community High School. This is Tommy's first year as a Staff Reporter for the school newspaper, Inkspot. 

The farthest...

Shae Simmons, Staff Reporter

Shae Simmons is a junior at Normal Community High School and a third-year member of the varsity Iron Dance team. This is her first year working as a staff...

Reid Watkins, Staff Reporter

Reid Watkins is a junior at Normal Community High School and a member of the football and basketball programs. He will be working as a Staff Reporter in...

Caitlin Wonsowski, Staff Reporter

Caitlin Wonsowski is a junior at Normal Community High School, this is her first year as a Staff Reporter for Inkspot. 

I'd really like to meet the...

• Larger population as positive for students?

300 Words

300 Words: ‘Na wè pita’

Arts & Entertainment

Obama’s ‘Becoming’ book tour

Features

Ways to make winter fun

Arts & Entertainment

Watch ‘The Office’ Christmas episodes

Arts & Entertainment

Easy to make winter desserts recipes

Features

FBLA returns with ‘Dancing with the Staff’ event

300 Words

300 Words: Car keys

Arts & Entertainment

Inkspotify: Winter & Holiday Playlists

Arts & Entertainment

InkSpotify

Features

Tees to success: Enchelmayer more than a golfer

Normal Community's student news