Ironmen seek redemption against Maroons in Pekin Sectional Semifinals rematch

Braylon Roman enters tonight’s contest as the Ironment’s leading scorer. Roman is averaging 11.6 points a game. Photo Courtesy: Mr. Jeff Christopherson

The 28-5 Ironmen boys basketball team faces the 27-6 Moline Maroons in tonight’s Pekin Sectional Semifinals. The 7 p.m. tip is the third straight season the two teams have matched up in the Semis.

Community is hoping to avenge last year’s 68-51 season-ending loss, while Moline looks to a chance to defend their 2023 4A State Title.

The Iron were victorious over the Maroons in the team’s regular season meeting on Feb. 10, eking out a 31-29 win in a game that came down to the final shot. That contest was a slow-to-no-tempo game, as both teams posted season-scoring lows.

Marcus McQueen led the Maroons in scoring that loss, going five for eight from the perimeter for all 15 points.

While Moline’s last-second shot didn’t fall against the Iron, the Maroons were able to convert in the final moments of Friday’s contest against the Bradley-Bourbonnais Boilermakers, punching their ticket to Sectionals. Treyvon Taylor hit a game-winning free throw for a 52-51 finish, claiming the United Township Regional title.

The Iron secured a fourth consecutive Regional Championship on Friday, Feb. 23, defeating the Rock Island Rocks 62-46.

Senior center Jaheem Webber led the Ironmen in scoring in the contest, with 15 points, going a six for six from the line. Rock Island’s K.J. LaMonte had 29 in the contest for the Rocks.

Despite Community’s 16-point victory over Rock Island, the Iron struggled with turnovers, committing nine in total, which led to fastbreak opportunities for the Rocks’ K.J. LaMonte.

The winner of tonight’s game will play for a Sectional Championship on Friday in Pekin, facing the victor of tonight’s game between Belleville West (19-13) vs. Quincy Sr. (30-3).

$1880
$3000

Jeffery Woodard
Jeffery Woodard, Senior Staff Reporter
Jeffery Woodard is a senior at Normal Community High School and is involved in track & field. This is his third year working with the Inkspot, and he is a senior staff reporter. On the weekends, I enjoy hanging out with friends and going to the gym. In my free time, I enjoy watching movies of all sorts. My favorite film is "Black Panther."
$1880
$3000