Social media switch: Inkspot’s Top 10 social media picks to sooth your stress

From cute critters to culinary adventures, the Inkspot staff shares their favorite uplifting social media accounts

TikTok. 

Instagram.

Snapchat.

YouTube. 

Despite growing concerns over social media’s effect on teen mental health, a new Pew Research Center survey reveals adolescents won’t be deleting their accounts anytime soon.  

17% of teens surveyed described their social media use as “almost constant.” A majority reported checking their accounts “several times a day.” 

It’s clear–social media consumption isn’t changing. 

While it’s difficult to stop the perpetual motion of swiping through Instagram Reels or TikTok’s For You page, the one thing we can alter is what we consume on these platforms.

In May 2023, the Surgeon General’s Advisory on Social Media and Youth Mental Health was unable to conclude “that social media is sufficiently safe for children and adolescents.”

But that doesn’t mean it has to be actively dangerous or detrimental. 

The Inkspot staff share 10 social media accounts, ranging from the captivatingly cute to soothing step-by-steps, to turn to when you need a little more positivity on your favorite social media platforms.

BJ Dumas’s Instagram selection

Dogs? Cute. Miniatures? Cute. A miniature dog? Even cuter!

@littlemanyu_ chronicles the everyday activities of Manyu, a miniature Shiba Inu, as she picnics, gets manicures, and can’t help but drift off. This adorable creature gets shown a level of affection through pampering that an average human won’t show to themselves. After adding in ASMR and soothing melodies this account reaches a level of near perfection.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by 是曼玉不是鳗鱼 (@littlemanyu_)

Leonor Rivas’s TikTok pick

Cats can be mysterious, cute, evil and sinister.

All of these qualities are present in the Arizona established account @poetssquarecats. The informal owner of these stray cats posts a variety of videos; The posts vary from up for adoption videos behind a soundtrack of relaxing music almost as gentle as a kitten’s purr, silly POV’s of the adorable animals, and hilarious shorts of cats in places you may not expect them.

@poetssquarecats♬ original sound – Poets Square Cats

Mr. Brad Bovenkerk’s Instagram selection

Fold, write, draw, and cut. @ralphtyndalldesigns doesn’t follow these average guidelines in making his greeting, welcoming, and entertaining cards. The shorts take you through the process of making his cards using a variety of unusual tools with the actions mic’d up resulting in engaging videos. The cards recapture the feeling of pop up childhood books which Bovenkerk says “is a cool feeling.”

Lyra Townsend’s TikTok pick

Tiktok dances. Popular but overdone. Do you ever think about the people watching these dances? @itsbryanandchris considered their toddlers’ responses to a silly dance, and it’s a must watchvideo that can be found on their first pinned post. This is a heartwarming account of couple Bryan’s and Chris’s parenting journey with their two toddlers Brecon and London. This TikTok page ranges from family trips, lunch outings, and short videos that force a smile on your face.

@itsbryanandchris How did this daddy do @Taylor Swift? #fyp #trend #taylorswift #daddy #parentsoftiktok #reaction #itsbryanandchris ♬ Love Story (Taylor’s Version) – Taylor Swift

Marielsie Iglesias’s Instagram selection

Maybe your best friend has plans or your parents are out of town and your go-to pick me up isn’t available @werenotreallystrangers is an account promoting positive affirmations. Sending a postfrom their account can brighten someone’s day. The first time Marielsie saw the account was through a friend: “she sent one to me and it made me smile.” The page also keeps its followers on their toes with thought provoking questions: the inquiries can be found in the brand’s deck of cards for sale.

Kirsten Santana’s picks

One creature has been able to destroy the war between Israel and Palestine, the animal proclaimed as “Little turtle” ate the war made out of a watermelon in a recent post from @jikimini.
Promoted as having the best ASMR videos, ASMR Animal features turtles, hamsters, guinea pigs, bunnies, kittens, dogs and even hedgehogs with their adorable eating habits mic’d up.

@jikimini our hero #asmr #cuteanimals #mukbang #tortue #turtle #tortoise #gaza #freepalestine #war ♬ son original – ASMR

@seals.inc showcases the connection built between a trainer and her seals Chuck and Motya.  The account isn’t only heartwarming, it’s also hilarious with videos spanning from seal flipper clapping contests to macarena performances.

@seals.inc Such a “Macarena” Here you can see 2 different behaviour: Waltz (turn around) and “ears” (touching ears with flippers) Thanks Chuck and Motya team ? #seals#animaltrainig#baikalseals ♬ оригинальный звук – seals.inc

Ali Ince’s Instagram selection

146 recipes. All oatmeal based. Trace Alexander, author of “The Most Oatstanding Recipe Book” is known on Instagram as “The Oatmeal guy.” But Alexander doesn’t just write. @tracesoats has more than a million Instagram followers, watch Alexander’s  kitchen related reels, headlined by his love for oatmeal. He proclaims himself as the oatmeal guy because of the variety of forms his oatmeal related dishes take on.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Trace’s Oats (@tracesoats)

Zachary Knox-Doyle’s TikTok pick

Raw chicken, ew. A baked spicy lemon pepper chicken kabob, sign me up!

@thezachchoi is a master in the kitchen transforming dishes from raw to righteous. His dishes range from cheese filled bacon wrapped hot dogs to deep fried Cheeto puff burgers topped with fresh vegetables. The chef’s videos are satisfying, with sounds of his knife on the cutting board to the soothing scrape of dumping his dish in the frying pan to the melodic mixing of his ingredients on full blast.

@thezachchoi #tiktokfood #asmr ♬ original sound – Zach Choi

Abby Ruebush’s Instagram selection

Remember Tumblr? Would you consider that art?

On @americanhighshorts the account posts satirical sketches arguing such questions. If you are In need of some humor but only have a few minutes before you head out, this account is perfect. The shorts have found success on Instagram, TikTok, and Youtube as a result of their quirky and funny reels dependent on the average high school day.

$1880
$3000

Zachary Knox-Doyle
Zachary Knox-Doyle, Senior Staff Reporter
Zachary Knox-Doyle is a junior at Normal Community High School and plays on the school's tennis team. He is a Senior Staff Reporter at the Inkspot. One of my biggest inspirations is Candace Parker because of her insane skills on the basketball court, never back down attitude and the work she's done for ESPN behind the mic. I am most comfortable and content when I'm playing tennis and basketball simply for the love of the sport.
$1880
$3000