News Briefs for Sep. 11 – Sep. 16

Seniors enjoy sunrise on half-day

Seniors started to gather outside Community at 5:45 a.m. to watch the sunrise together before the first half-day of the school year.

Members of the Class of 2023 gathered outside before dawn at the Senior Class Board-sponsored “Senior Sunrise” on Tuesday, eating donuts and watching the sunrise.

The event, held in the staff parking lot, was a beginning-of-the-year twist on the annual “Senior Sunset” tradition.

FBLA state officers present to Springfield Chamber of Commerce

FBLA state officers Avani Rai (’23) and Sonika Tamilarasan (’23) present to the Springfield Chamber of Commerce at the FBLA IL Board of Directors meeting this weekend. 

Rai, State Vice President, and Tamilarasan, State Treasurer, will meet with other FBLA state officers and Illinois Board of Representatives members to work on state and region plans for the 22-23 year. 

FFA officers celebrate Section 9 Week

FFA Section 9 President Peter Metivier (’23) welcomed FFA state officers to Community for the section’s first day of chapter visits Monday. 

Metivier and Lily Garcia (’24), Section 9 Secretary, hosted sessions in intentional relationships and resilience for Leadership Training School attendees on Tuesday before touring the remaining Section 9 chapters Wednesday – Friday.

Social Studies club tours downtown

Social Studies club toured historic downtown Bloomington on a walking tour led by Bill Kemp, McLean County Museum archivist, and Mike Matejka this weekend.

The 30 attendees learned the history behind many of the area’s buildings and the lives of the people who lived there, examining marginalized groups’ struggles for rights from a local perspective.

*Editor’s Note: Avani Rai is a member of the Inkspot staff
$1880
$3000

Abby Ruebush
Abby Ruebush, Editor-in-Chief
Abby Ruebush is a senior at Normal Community High School and serves as president of Student Council and the Community Best Buddies chapter. This is her third year working with the Inkspot, where she is Editor-in-Chief.  I like dance, ice cream and thoughtful conversation. A slogan to live by is that every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day.
$1880
$3000