News Briefs for Aug. 29 – Sep. 9

21 awarded national recognition for academic achievement

21 seniors earned academic honors from the College Board National Recognition Programs for their “outstanding performance” in the classroom and on College Board assessments. 

As juniors, the students posted a GPA of 3.5 or higher and performed well on the PSAT or scored a 3 or above on two or more AP exams, making them eligible to apply f0r the National Rural and Small Town Award.

The following students are among the 62,000 high schoolers across the country being recognized for their academic achievements: 

Chamber orchestra to perform at Illinois Music Education Association Conference

For the first time in 41 years, the Chamber orchestra will perform in the Illinois Music Education Association’s annual conference — the highest honor for student orchestras in the state — in January.

The orchestra will play to an audience of thousands of music students and educators from across Illinois during the three-day conference in Peoria.

FFA students qualify for State

Emily Bianchi (’24) placed fifth in the FFA’s Section 9 Horse Judging Career Development Event Sept. 7, advancing to compete at the State level.

Lexi Dobbs (’23), Laney Maloy (’24)  and Analise Castorena (’24) join Bianchi, Community’s only veteran competitor, qualifying for the FFA State Career Development competition.

73 FFA members from across three counties participated in the competition, part of a series that focuses on skill development and career preparation through career development events.

4-H presents at Lunch and Learn

McLean County 4-H Youth Development Program Coordinator Sky Holland presented on the 4-H Teen Teachers program during the first Lunch and Learn of the year Sept. 1. 

Holland, a Community alum, shared information about the volunteer program where high schoolers teach STEM-based interactive lessons and activities to children in McLean county. 

Community students experimented with Sphero robots experiencing what the 4-H program aims to teach — “exploration, imagination, and perseverance through STEAM and computer science,” according to the organization’s website. 

The Lunch and Learn series hosts guest speakers who present on various topics during lunch hours in the IMC. 

FFA section officers attend leadership conference

FFA’s Section 9 President Peter Metivier (’23) and Secretary Lily Garcia (’24) attended the organization’s Section Team’s Activities and Responsibilities conference Aug. 31 at Joliet Junior College.

The all-day training brought together student leaders from across Illinois’s 25 FFA sections, preparing section officers for chapter visits across the state.

Metivier and Garcia will lead workshops in their region, helping FFA chapters develop and set goals for the year.

Normal Band marches in Labor Day Parade

160 musicians from Community and West’s combined Normal Marching Band performed in the annual Bloomington Labor Day Parade downtown on Sept. 5.

$1880
$3000

About the Contributors
Avani Rai, Editor-in-Chief
Avani Rai is a senior at Normal Community High School and is a part of the Speech Team, FBLA, and Swim team. This is her second year working with the Inkspot, where she is a senior staff reporter. Random fact about me is I've been to 10 countries outside of the United States. My hidden talent is that I am a fantastic procrastinator. My slogan to live by is never be afraid to make someone's day. Whether that's something small, like complimenting someone in the hallways, or something big, like advocating for what you believe in.    
Marielsie Iglesias
Marielsie Iglesias, Senior Staff Reporter
Marielsie Iglesias is a senior at Normal Community High School, and this is her third year working for the Inkspot as a senior staff reporter.  I enjoy reading, writing, and marketing. My biggest advice is to enjoy life since you only live once.  
$1880
$3000