‘Steel Magnolias’ continues run

The spring production of Steel Magnolias, written by Robert Harling, continues its two-weekend run, playing on March 8,9 and 10 at 7 p.m. in the NCHS auditorium.

Steel Magnolias follows the story of a group of southern women living in the 1980s who often congregating at the local hair salon. The main characters (Truvy, the Salon owner; Anelle, the aspiring beautician; Clairee, a frequent customer of the salon; M’Lynn, a usual customer of the salon; Shelby, M’Lynn’s daughter who is at the salon to prepare for her wedding; and Ousier, another frequent user of the salon) trade laughs and insults with each other in this story of friendship. The characters form a tight-knit community, sharing the woes and joys of their lives with each other, through the play’s progression. The story of Steel Magnolias was originally made based on the familial experiences of the playwright’s sister.

The play’s heroines are portrayed by Olivia “Montana” Hughey-Takacs, Kendra Baca, Abbie Rasmus, Tristan Bixby, Tyger Gudeman, and Aniya Thompson with the part of the radio host performed by Adam Alexander. These NCHS students are under the direction of staff members Ms. Kevin Yale Vernon and Mr. Tyler McWhorter.

Viewers will find themselves seated on stage, in close proximity to the action. The goal through this unusual seating is to create the illusion that the audience, too, is a sitting in the hair salon experiencing these moments. 

Tickets cost $3 for students and $8 for adults. Seats for the show are limited because of the atypical seating configuration. Tickets can be purchased an hour early before the show; doors open a half-hour before the show.

The spring play consists of two acts with a 15-minute intermission.

$1880
$3000

Aidan Smiser
Aidan Smiser, Staff Reporter
Aidan Smiser is a senior at Normal Community High School, Aidan enjoys running cross country as well as taking English and Social Studies courses. Aidan Smiser is joining as a new staff reporter for the Inkspot. I like anime, Magic the Gathering, comics, video games, and animated television shows with good voice acting. If I won a million dollars I would attempt to move to Japan.  
$1880
$3000