Halloween presentation lights students on fire

• Staff reporter Tommy Lebow demonstrates one of the chemical reactions that took place during the Halloween presentation.

Photo courtesy of Mr. Christopherson
  • Katie Leins, staff reporter, takes part in the annual Halloween presentation put on by the chemistry teachers.

Photo courtesy of Mr. Christopherson

Halloween presentations were conducted during class time on Friday, November 1st by the chemistry teachers to showcase different chemical reactions in order for students to have a fun day of learning.

15 years ago the chemistry teachers conducted the first Halloween presentation at Normal Community High School. Since then, the event has grown in popularity and scale.

This year’s demo included reactions that caused pumpkins to explode, a bottle’s rubber stopper to puncture yet another hole in Mr. Jeff Christopherson’s ceiling and a reaction that allowed for student hands to safely be lit on fire.

Throughout the demo, Mr. Christopherson put on a variety of masks and wigs, which had students laughing. The teachers always had comments to add about the reactions that would also spark laughter. Ms. Ashlee Johnson told the class they had to wear safety goggles because it’s important to be “safe not sexy.” Mr. Michael Roller told the class he could do both.

The positive energy could be felt in the room.

The presentation concluded with the lighting of the students’ hands on fire paired with the playing of Alicia Keys’ “This Girl is on Fire.” The song was an added piece to the presentation, an idea by Mr. Christopherson.

The presentation is meant to be fun for teachers and students, but it requires a variety of precautions were made by the teachers to ensure safety. The preparation for the demo starts a month ahead of time and it causes for about 6-10 hours to get set up.

Regarding the presentation, Mr. Christopherson says, “It’s time consuming, but well worth the positive energy we get from the students.”

$1880
$3000

About the Contributors
Katie Leins
Katie Leins, Staff Reporter
Katie is a senior at NCHS and is a second year staff reporter for the Inkspot. Slogan to live by:  It is what it is. Random facts about me: When I was 6 years old, I fell off the monkey bars trying to prove to a kid that was doubting me that I could do them. I ended up breaking both bones in my wrist and later having surgery on it. I have lived in Illinois for 10 years now. I originally lived in Pennsylvania. I have a dog named Daisy who is a whopping 12 pounds. Thing that really baffles me: When people spell definitely "defiantly".  
Tommy Lebow
Tommy Lebow, Staff Reporter

Tommy Lebow is a handsome senior at Normal Community. This is his second year with the Inkspot as a staff reporter.

My favorite movie is The Dark Knight

My biggest pet peeve is The school parking

On the weekends I enjoy watching sports with friends 

My interests include sports, music, movies, and some video games

$1880
$3000