Rizz rules: Oxford’s Word of the Year for 2023

+Merriam-Webster+included+%E2%80%9Crizz%E2%80%9D+on+its+list+of+the+year%E2%80%99s+top+words+but+gave+first+place+to+%E2%80%9Cauthentic.%E2%80%9D+%0ARizz+topped+Oxfords+list+for+2023.%0AStock+Photo+%2F%2F+Envato
Merriam-Webster included “rizz” on its list of the year’s top words but gave first place to “authentic.” Rizz topped Oxford’s list for 2023. Stock Photo // Envato

It’s that time of year again. 

Spotify Wrapped. YouTube Recap. Duolingo Year in Review.     

Every online platform wants to tell users the artists, videos and creators that they engaged with the most in 2023—including your online dictionary. 

As 2023 wound down, platforms like Merriam-Webster and the Oxford English Dictionary analyze page hits and popular searches to determine the “Word of the Year,” a word or expression that attracted a great deal of interest over the last 12 months.

This year, Oxford’s selection was “rizz”: a word the institution defined as “style, charm or attractiveness, and the ability to attract a romantic or sexual partner.” 

“Rizz” edged out “situationship”—“a romantic or sexual relationship that is not considered to be formal or established”—for the top spot. 

Taylor Swift may have topped the charts this year, but “Swiftie,” a contender for Oxford’s 2023 “Word of the Year,” failed to top the dictionary’s list. 

However, the star was influential in Webster’s selection for Word of the Year: Authentic.

Authentic, Merriam-Webster’s wrote, topped their list of 2023’s most influential terms “driven by stories and conversations about AI, celebrity culture, identity and social media. Swift made headlines in 2023 with statements her ‘authentic voice’ and ‘authentic self.’ Headlines like Three Ways To Tap Into Taylor Swift’s Authenticity And Build An Eras-Like Workplace.

Swift, an Emmy and Grammy award winner is halfway to “EGOT” status: another term that just missed the top spot on a dictionary’s Word of the Year list, this time Merriam-Webster’s.  

“EGOT” and “Swiftie” are words that the Community students and staff could well describe, so the Inkspot asked for their definitions. 

Check out this edition of On the Spot, where the Inkspot tests teacher’s knowledge on 2023’s top terms, quizzing teachers on “rizz,” asking them to share their thoughts on “situationship” and more. 

Lyra Townsend

$1880
$3000

Lyra Townsend
Lyra Townsend, Staff Writer
Lyra Townsend is a sophomore at NCHS and this is her first year working with the Inkspot.  Her current role is a staff writer.  My favorite movie is Jaws. On the weekends I like to fly planes. The slogan I live by is "Dream as if you'll live forever, fly as if it's your last flight."
$1880
$3000