Musical artists to look for in 2013

Everyone has their favorite music artists, but keep an open mind and look into the fresh tunes of these individual musicians in the new year!

The Weeknd

Canadian artist Abel Tesfaye started his music career by simply uploading three of his original tracks to YouTube.  He has a matchless style when it comes to music sound that has been described as “twisted R&B”.  Publicity from Drake quoting one of Abel’s songs on his Twitter page allowed The Weeknd to gain more fame.  In 2012, he released his collection of his three mixtapes as one in Trilogy.  The album was released under Universal Republic Records and his own label, XO.  The Weeknd has been featured in “Remember You” with Wiz Khalifa and also on Drake’s “Crew Love”.

The Xx

The Xx is an English Indie Pop band covering an unknown genre of music to the “Radio Music” world.  Members of the Xx keep a smooth balance between vocals and musical instruments that create a new sound. The group formed in London in 2008, but did not release their first album until August of 2009, which was titled, xx.  Since then, they have released one other album titled Coexist.

Macklemore

Ben Haggerty, better known as Macklemore, has been in the music scene since 2005 when his first album, The Language of My World, was released.  He covers the entertaining subjects through rap and hip hop genres of music while also touching some serious topics.  Although his music career has been going for years now, his fame has recently grown because of his newest release, Thrift Shop.

Trinidad James

Nicholas Williams’, also known as Trinidad Jame$, All Gold Everything off of his debut mixtape, Don’t Be S.A.F.E., has recently been extremely successful.  Along with a lot of artists in this time period, he gained fame from putting his videos on YouTube. Don’t Be S.A.F.E. came out on October 16, 2012.  Since then, he has signed with Def Jam Recordings and is also the CEO of his own record label titled Gold Gang Records.  He has been featured in songs with Gucci Mane and Wale.

Lana Del Rey

Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, better known by her stage name, Lana Del Rey, has been singing in clubs since the age of eighteen.  Her first digital album Lana Del Rey a.k.a. Lizzy Grant was released in January 2010.  She focuses on a unique style of song that is similar to that of “fifties and sixties Americana”.  Lana looks at herself as a “self-styled gangsta Nancy Sinatra”.  Not only does her music hold a unique vibe, but so does her image.  Lana always has big hair and very distinctive makeup.  She also sticks with the old school sixties taste when it comes to her clothing.

Although you may not have heard from some of these artists, you are sure to come across all of them in the 2013.  Popular music of the US is starting to hold a new and unique vibe, and these musical professionals are some of the most original.

$1880
$3000

Natalie Trumbull
Natalie Trumbull, Staff Reporter
Natalie is a junior at NCHS who manages to focus on her studies and the fun of being a teenager simultaneously.  She is a second year journalism student with a love for graphic design. Random Fact About Me Although I have a very large personality, I will forever be four foot eight.  The best things come in small packages. Guilty Pleasure Catscatscatscatscatscats. Slogan to Live By "When in doubt, meow it out."      
$1880
$3000