Success at Holiday Classic

December proved to be a good month for Normal Community mens basketball. A strong performance at the State Farm Holiday Classic, despite being seeded 11th, showed that the Ironmen can play with anybody.

Normal Community entered the State Farm Holiday Classic seeded 11th out of 16 teams. With the low seed, NCHS was focused on playing well. The Ironmen accomplished their goal, upsetting South Holland Thornwood in the first round. The momentum helped NCHS beat Rock Island, 53-52. Despite playing very well in the first two rounds, the Ironmen ran into Chatam Glenwood in the third round and lost a hard fought game, 43-41. Normal Community was able to win their final game in the tournament against Mahomet-Seymour, 42-38, to finish in third place.

When asked where his team improved the most since the Intercity tournament, Head Coach Dave Witzig didn’t hesitate with his response. “Playing as a team,” Witzig said. “Getting comfortable with our roles and playing as a team.”Witzig also made a point of mentioning his teams depth as a key to the team’s recent success. “We’ve played a lot of up-tempo teams and a lot of our gurs have really stepped up for us.”

Winning seven of their last eight games have the Ironmen felling good going into Big 12 Conference play. The Ironmen will play at home against Champaign Central on January 17th.

$1880
$3000

Tommy Lebow
Tommy Lebow, Staff Reporter

Tommy Lebow is a handsome senior at Normal Community. This is his second year with the Inkspot as a staff reporter.

My favorite movie is The Dark Knight

My biggest pet peeve is The school parking

On the weekends I enjoy watching sports with friends 

My interests include sports, music, movies, and some video games

$1880
$3000